Wednesday 2 May 2007

a total shocker......

United lost 3 nil tonight.
A complete shocker.
By Simon Stone, PA Sport Chief Football Writer

Manchester United's hopes of reaching their third Champions League final were dashed as they went down 3-0 to AC Milan at the San Siro.
First-hal goals from Kaka and Clarence Seedorf allowed the Rossoneri to turn around the 3-2 semi-final first leg deficit, before substitute Alberto Gilardino put the game beyond United's reach with 13 minutes remaining.

The outcome sees the Rossoneri book a meeting with Liverpool in the final in Athens on May 23, a repeat of the thrilling 2005 final.

Milan raced out of the blocks and claimed the lead after just 10 minutes as Kaka netted his third goal of the tie.

The brilliant Brazilian fired a low past Edwin van der Sar from the edge of the box after the ball was headed in his direction by Clarence Seedorf.

The goal levelled the aggregate score but despite having claimed the advantage with their two away goals, Milan were determined to keep attacking.

United were struggling to get their game going in torrential rain and a defensive mix-up allowed Milan to net a second after half an hour.

Vidic slipped after being played into trouble by Heinze and when the ball fell to Seedorf, he volleyed home clinically.

United had trailed by two goals at Everton on Saturday and clawed their way back to win.
However, this was an entirely different proposition and even with Ronaldo switched into a more central position, it was difficult to see any reason for optimism.

The game would have been up had Filippo Inzaghi turned home Massimo Oddo's near-post cross. Instead, his shot flashed just wide.

HT: AC Milan 2 Manchester United 0 (agg 4-3)

Neither coach made any substitutions at half time. United showed more aggressiveness after the restart but they still struggled to get past Milan's well-marshalled defensive wall.

On 52 minutes, Van der Sar made a crucial save from Kaka's close-range effort after Ronaldo had given away the ball in midfield.

At the other end, Gattuso made a vital block of Ronaldo's powerful strike from the edge of the area.
Shortly before the hour mark, Ronaldo's free-kick went straight into the wall as United desperately attempted to level the tie.

United finally put a good move together with Rooney serving an unmarked Darren Fletcher on the right - but his effort went well wide of Dida's near post.

Rooney appealed for a penalty after he was held inside the area by Oddo as he sought to get behind Ronaldo's cross from the right - but he was out of luck.

Milan coach Carlo Ancelotti made his first substitution in the 66th minute, with Alberto Gilardino replacing Inzaghi.

Kaka almost increased the lead soon after - but his effort on goal was deflected wide by Vidic for a corner.

United continued to surge forward and Ronaldo wasted a good chance when he fired wide in the 73rd minute.

Ferguson made his first substitution with 13 minutes remaining with Louis Saha coming on for O'Shea.

But it proved to no avail as seconds later Milan struck their third goal.

A long pass from Seedorf found an unmarked Gilardino, who surged inside the area and coolly shot past Van der Sar.

Gattuso was booked after exchanging words with Scholes while seconds later, Ronaldo was shown a yellow card for a late tackle on Seedorf.

United could not wait for the referee to bring the curtain down on a terrible night for them.